Spiders web
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPG game

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ok, Its been confirmed. This site is causing threats to show up on my

AVG maleware detecter. We will be switching sites as of now. I'll not

check this site again, and be taking the steps to delete it altogether

as the day goes on. Everyone please go to

This site

Register as a user and Join the new nations game, just copy/paste

your character sheets from this site and send them to me in the

other game. As for the Spiders Web Campaign; Wybren hasn't been

on for days, intrest has seemed to be lost there, I'll not be

continueing that game any longer.

Hopefully everone follows the game to the new site....

Obama and the Nobel Prize

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chevy
Town Guard
Town Guard
chevy

Character sheet
Name: Carlos
HP: 15/15
AC:: 17/18/19

Obama and the Nobel Prize Empty
PostSubject: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm starting a new topic for this discussion, which has grown beyond the scope of "Player Introductions"

chevy wrote:
What do you think about Barry winning the Nobel Peace Prize? Look at the list of Peace Prize Laureates, all but the most recent one list either completed achievements, or efforts taken over the span of years. How long was the big O in office when he was nominated? Two weeks. I
didn't realize that "Good Intentions" was a measurable accomplishment.

Admin wrote:
Not that I keep up with politics, nor who wins or is nominated for the Nobel. But I totally agree, I saw it on Yahoo news and was like WTF?

Nightfalcon wrote:
As far as President Obama's (BTY you threw me with Barry) receiving the Nobel Prize, I will admit that my initial reaction was "for what?". I'm a supporter who worked to get him into office but I have to admit his list of accomplishments are rather limited.

That being said, the committee's stated policy is often to recognize people in process as opposed to waiting after their efforts have seen completion. This President has taken very distinct steps to restoring discourse to diplomacy. I will as admit as someone who was appalled by the unilateral, aggressive (my way or the highway) policies of the previous administration, I think this is a very good thing. I'm a strong believer in the "walk softly but carry a wooden stick" philosophy. The president has made great strides to repair the image and presitege of our nation on the world stage.

I also think that it is possible that the committee as part of a distinctly political agenda may have seen this as a way to bolster the president and his efforts, not realizing that in an environment that is polarized as our nation, the President could cure cancer, fix the economy, end terrorism, Put a man on the moon and bring peace to the middle east and many of his detractors would still be hard pressed to find anything good to say about him. World wide this will add to his prestige and that of our nation but I don't think it will help him domestically.

Finally before anyone accuses me of being a bleeding heart liberal, I'm an army brat who distinctly remembers the Viet Nam War and was a history major in college. This makes me rather practical and hard nosed when it comes time to act. I live in New York, have worked in the World Trade Center, and have done a bunch of work with the FDNY after 9-11. I was lucky enough not to lose anyone close to me but I know lots of people who did. I'd love to see Osama Bin Laden hauled into court at 1 Center Street and see him charged with murder. We're a death penalty state in this case I would have no problem with us seeking the maximum penalty we can.

Last edited by chevy on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chevy
Town Guard
Town Guard
chevy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:00 pm

In process, yes, but all of the past "in process" recipients were nominated for years of sustained and continuing efforts, often accompanied by numerous tangible results. I'll admit to not being an Obamerican, but I am fair. He has not put the time in to deserve it, only talked nice to world leaders and made them feel good for the past 8 months. Right now, it's just talk. Right now, it's just potential. Time will tell whether the award is justified, but it's still premature regardless.

As for Osama, I'd like to see him hanged, drawn, and quartered -- with a very short time hanging so he's fully conscious when he's drawn.
Back to top Go down
severian
Town Guard
Town Guard
severian

Character sheet
Name: Severian Mantiss
HP: 12
AC:: 17 (+1 dodge)

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 7:05 pm

who got it now? OSama or OBama? tongue

I think it's a great thing this 'Obamisation' and might be just what is needed now.
Back to top Go down
Nightfalcon
Goblin Killer
Goblin Killer
Nightfalcon

Character sheet
Name: Kyrizdin
HP: 12
AC:: 19

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 10:32 pm

arrrggghh!!! The computer ate the post I was working on.

I may rewrite it later.

The short version is that a number of recipients had not truly had a years of sustained and continuing efforts but rather were the men of the moment or were the face for events that they were not actually responsible for. Our President in only eight months has had a notable effect on the level of diplomacy on the world stage.

We can only hope that he lives up to expectations of this award.

If he doesn't, the committee can always rescind it.
Back to top Go down
chevy
Town Guard
Town Guard
chevy

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:33 am

I'll accept that "man of the hour" explanation, no need to try to retype your whole post. I share your hope that he proves he deserves it. It could truly go either way, couldn't it?
Back to top Go down
Wybren
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
Wybren

Character sheet
Name: Yorin / Radour
HP: 11 (R) / 23 (Y)
AC:: 17 (R) / 19 (Y)

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 3:47 am

Well, if you look at the past: what about the Palestinian leader Arafat getting the peace price?
Man, that was absolutely nuts in hindsight, for he torpedoed the peace-process in Palestine by not accepting the offer of an independent state by the then Israeli president Barak.
Thus he caused a renewal of violence between Palestines and Jews,
between Hamas and Fatah and a deep frustration for all the peace-workers!
So yeah, mistakes have been made by the nobel prize committee before!
Back to top Go down
drizzt380
Town Guard
Town Guard
drizzt380

Character sheet
Name: Tialon Killendare
HP:
AC::

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 5:13 am

The Nobel committee has made been suspect throughout history. Alfred Noble's estate founded the various awards, but he's been dead for 110 years and theres not much oversight exactly. The members of the committee are appointed by the Norwegian parliament. The hope is always that the intentions of Alfred Noble will be held to but the only reason it has more legitimacy than any other legislative appointed body is because of the length of time its existed.

And they've misstepped many times. Arafat, no award to Gandhi. Al Gore and the IPCC. I'm not going to argue global warming, but they were not "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama and the Nobel Prize   Obama and the Nobel Prize Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama and the Nobel Prize
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spiders web :: New Nations Campaign :: OOC Forum-
Jump to: